Nothing ever goes as planned…..ni modo

One thing that is certain is that nothing is certain here.  I used to get so frustrated coming from a very structured life north of the border only to find everything is a moving target here.  It’s okay to make plans but do not get upset if things don’t go as planned because most times they won’t.  I learned early on, to take things as they come and keep my expectations low.  Yesterday was another great reminder….

We went to bed planning on going for an early morning hike.  I woke up early, made some coffee, and checked my email.  I decided to go out to the brew room and assemble my new electric Brewzilla and slowly prep for our first brew day.  I went back in the house to grab another cup of coffee and noticed the electricity was out.  I didn’t think much about it until later when I talked with our neighbor, Tarraya.  I asked him about the electricity and he said the power was on in the village.  The alarms in my head went off and I knew our plans for the day were change.

Tarraya went and found Abraham, one of the town electricians.  He came to the rescue in September on a steamy warm evening.  Gabriel and I had just arrived to find our power out.  He worked late into the night hunting down a short.  He pretty much rewired every single connection with a flashlight and installed a new junction box as well.  Now he would rescue us again.


Abraham quickly suggested the line coming from CFE, the power company, to our house was probably old and too small for our growing demand.  He made a list of things he needed and off we went to the closest big town, Vizcaino, about 70 miles away.  I wonder just how many times I’ve made this drive under similar circumstances.

We went by the bank to stock up on pesos and the machines were out.   I took this in stride as it’s happened many times before. Luckily, most of the stores accept credit card and we have learned to stock up on pesos whenever possible.  We bought our supplies and headed off to buy some groceries We also bought a mango tree along with a mandarin tree and an awesome nursery.  We’ll definitely be returning for more plants.

We got home and found out that Abraham had accidentally ruptured our water line while digging a culvert for the new power line from the street to our new circuit breaker.  Ni modo, or oh well.  It was a slow leak and he decided to let it be until tomorrow.  Here again, this would not be acceptable north the border but we have learned to accept things as them happen.


Abraham was back to work today.  He eventually fixed the water line.  One thing we’ve learned over the years that if something goes wrong with a building project, you still have to pay for the time and materials of the mistake.  It’s just part of the deal and we’re used to it.  In a weird way, it always seems to come back full circle.  Karma is funny that way.


We did get out for our hike today.  And while a new electrical setup is not sexy, we’re pretty happy to have something equivalent to north of the border electrical standards.  I forgot to mention that Abraham learned his trade in the United States.  I wonder if this is where the manana attitude comes from….quien sabes?

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adios Hurricane Kay

Hurricane Kay 10:40 am Update

Hurricane Kay 8am Update