"Pro-tips" and Mexicali Desert Trail 30k Trail run with Gabriel

Pro-tips are a fun way for us to share little nuggets of information with each other.  I decided on this trip to Mexicali to share some of my tips for driving on Baja Mexico Highway 1 with Gabriel.  He is now 15 and will be driving soon.  In fact, Grandpa Gary spent a great deal of time on his recent visit teaching both kids to drive.

Now in no way am I saying that I am an expert or that my knowledge is supreme.  But I've been driving in Baja for 38 plus years.  And over the past three years, I've been making the trip north almost once a month.  So I figured, it was time to share some of my wisdom nuggets with Gabriel.  We thought it might be fun to make a video and share it with others as well.  

I recently bought a Go Pro 12 as I've wanted to tell our story with more than just words and pictures.  I started a YouTube channel The Adventures of Famila Bajaboy years ago mainly as a repository for our family videos.  But at the urging of our good friend, Anita, I've decided to do a better job of documenting our daily life.  As such, I am writing here more often and learning how to create videos for our YouTube channel.  I have no asperations of being a YouTube celebrity but really enjoy telling stories and reliving our adventures with family and friends.  If someone gains some wisdom along the way or has a good laugh at our antics then I have accomplished what I set out to do.

Tracy has been very supportive of my new hobby.  She smiles and listens to my incesant ramblings about Go Pro settings, new subscribers, video editing software, and story ideas.  One thing that is clear to me is there is a steep learning curve when it comes to creating quality videos for YouTube.  I am not very good right now and that's okay.  As a math teacher, I preached about the importance of learning mistakes and I am embracing any and all mistakes.  But I am commited to learning and getting better and it's invigorating.

I think so many people wait until they are good at something before really investing any time or energy into that activity.  And as a result, many people never really take on new hobbies or activities.  They are too worried about not being successful.  They are too worried about being good from the beginning.  But experience has to be experienced, right?  So yes, I own that I will not be good at first.  But with time, experience, and failure, I hope to one day tell a good story.

I have watched Gabriel go down this path with his YouTube channel Fictional Fanatics.  He has grown tremendously over the past year as a content creator.  I really respect his dedication and enthusiasm.  In fact, I gain much of my inspiration to make mistakes and learn along the way from him.  In addition, to creating and editing his channel, he edited both videos from our weekend that I have included in this blog post.



I thought I wanted to write about out weekend but instead drifted into different territory.  That's okay and a reason why I want to tell our story in different mediums.  I am finding my voice changes based on if I have a keyboard or camera in my hands.  And both seem to offer a different peace of mind and point of view.  


So if you want to know about our weekend, watch the YouTube videos.  If you do like them, please leave a comment and consider to subscribing.  We are excited about some of our upcoming videos including Mika and her journey into softball stardom.  Until the next adventure, cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adios Hurricane Kay

Hurricane Kay 8am Update

Hurricane Kay 10:40 am Update