What is no longer mundane....

 We’ve been on this journey, now, for 7 weeks.  In some way it doesn’t seem possible, in other ways it seems longer.  After unpacking, finding places for all our things, getting pictures hung, I quickly relaxed.  Like really relaxed!  I’ve slept ridiculously amazing most every single night, and often take some epic naps.  


My friend, Angela, often asks me if I miss our old life.  At this point, not at all.  I’m finding there are so many things I’m enjoying that I woudn't have considered before.


Grocery Shopping- Ever since COVID, going grocery shopping has been really stressful.  Waiting outside in lines, trying to follow the flow of the store (directional signs) while others do not, drove me crazy!  Then I’d forget something in an aisle I’d passed and would need to completely transverse the entire store.  I’d also go crazy at people who just didn’t get the concept of social distancing. Here, grocery store trips are a daily occurrence.  Oftentimes we’ll get snacks to go to the beach, but then also tend to just see what is available on a given day, which will dictate the meal of the day.  The thing I love best, is that at any given time, at any store here, I’m one of no more than 5 or 6 people in the store.  2 or 3 of the others are staff.  It’s much more relaxing to me.


Cleaning & Laundry- Back in San Diego, or even here in Asuncion while on vacation, cleaning the house and laundry was such a pain.  It seemed there was never enough time to get these chores done.  Here I’ve found that I relish these mundane tasks.  Now, it seems that I have all the time in the world.  I geek out a bit with my laundry line.  I am trying to perfect my hanging technique- I put all t-shirts on the back line, undergarments on the middle line, and pants/shorts on the front line.  Then when it is time to take the items down, I take down and fold items based on each person and how they might be put away in the house.  For example, I start with Zac’s shorts, then t-shirts, etc, next my clothes, then Gabriel and finally Mika. 


Also, cleaning isn’t such a bore.  Since sand and dirt are a constant here in the house, cleaning happens much more frequently than my weekly pass throughs done in the past.  Here, I take my time and find more satisfaction in keeping the house clean, vs. the weekend chore it once was.  At the same time, I find I don’t stress about messes.  When we come back from the beach and there is an influx of sand on the floor, I actually smile at the memory of the beach trip.  Or when we come back from the run and Zeus had a ridiculous pool of drool over the floor, I’m happy because he’s happy. 


I think overall, THAT is what is bringing me the most joy, watching my family thrive.  Zac’s daily work in the garden and the pride he has with each new flower blooming.  Watching Gabriel grow into a young man right before my eyes.  He’s in a stage where he’s right between a young man, yet still with a squeaky voice when the time is right.  Mikayla is also a joy to watch, both as she continues to develop her sense of style and how she has become such good friends with neighbor boys.  Watching her brush and do her hair over and over again, then run outside and play for hours.  Zeus is in heaven here.   Whether he’s chasing lizards on our runs or at the beach, watching Zac in the garden, chasing neighbor dogs around, or sleeping on the couch under the fan, he’s just a happy dog.  And lastly Rami, she’s been with us 1 year now and is very content.  Half the day she can be found napping in Gabriel’s bed or Mika’s top bunk, the other half she is holding down the permiter of our property. 


Life is most certainly good and we are thankful.












Comments

Shari said…
I love my refined laundry hanging techniques too...it's a science! And a challenge out here in the Alaska part of town. I love all of your blog posts & different points of view onypur new life!
Dr Zhivago said…
Loving this blog. It’s a peek of what life is like in another setting. I remember Philippines was very much like that. After a few weeks we got use to their way of life. Thunder storms and no cable. Biking and jeep rides everywhere.

Popular posts from this blog

Adios Hurricane Kay

Hurricane Kay 10:40 am Update

Hurricane Kay 8am Update